Empress Otku

Default OT/Crossposted: Sailing

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:21:20 -0400, "urf" wrote:

My sister and her late husband spent the last part of their lives together
sailing throughout the Caribbean.

etc.

The experience you had shows us that there is something else in life.

I don't think I could live that way, not sure why. It seems sort
of... aimless.

OTOH, I had an experience years ago which makes me think I might be
able to adjust. It was living on a beach (in Greece) with very little
money for a week.

My boyfriend and I had worked and saved for over a year and then took
our money and travelled through Europe and Greece. We backpacked,
took the cheapest forms of travel and stayed in hostels or camped to
save money. We stayed at my parents' house (they were retired and
living in Greece at the time) when we got there. But we spent one
week on the beach of a small island (and I don't remember which one!)
with nothing to do but walk into the village and eat a couple of times
a day.

I remember that I was pretty antsy the first day or two, it seemed
like I needed something to *do*, but that feeling soon wore off and
eventually my system slowed to enjoy the rhythm of the slow days. We
would sit in the sun, and when we got too hot, we'd swim and cool off.
I remember watching the shadows of the trees move along the sand as
the sun moved, and that seemed, somehow, graceful and "enough".

~Empress