Gordon Wedman

Default Windlass Electrical Connection

I think there are more disadvantages to this system than advantages.

The disadvantages a
-another battery to purchase/maintain/eventually replace
-locating a battery forward in an area possibly not well designed for
batteries
-you now have two sets of wiring to route and maintain: battery to windlass
and charging system to battery
-devising a method of keeping the battery charged but not
overcharged/interfere with charging other batteries
-lower total power to the windlass than from a big house bank

The advantage would seem to be saving money on heavy cable and not having to
route this cable through the boat.
I just purchased 2/0 tinned battery cable from Hardware Specialties in
Seattle for $1.69 per foot. I don't consider this to be that big a cost. I
could have bought 2/0 welding cable for $1.04 per foot if I really wanted to
save money. I prefer going with the cable as once its installed the work is
over. No batteries to maintain and I get full power from my house bank.

"Ray Cullum" wrote in message
I am considering adding a electric windlass to my boat and I would like

some
opinions on the best way to connect to the electrical system.

The windlass will be approximately 40 feet from my house battery bank

which is
700amps. It has been suggested to me to place a small battery up close to

the
windlass so you don't have to run heavy battery cable such a distance and
sustain the power loss. Small cable could be run to the battery strictly

for
recharging.

Thanks for the help.

Ray Cullum