Jeff Morris

Default Windlass Electrical Connection

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On 27 Jul 2004 15:50:00 GMT, (Ray Cullum) wrote:

I am considering adding a electric windlass to my boat and I would like some
opinions on the best way to connect to the electrical system.

The windlass will be approximately 40 feet from my house battery bank which

is
700amps. It has been suggested to me to place a small battery up close to

the
windlass so you don't have to run heavy battery cable such a distance and
sustain the power loss. Small cable could be run to the battery strictly for
recharging.

Thanks for the help.

Ray Cullum
S/V FROLIC

A run of 80 feet is going to be some truly huge cable.

No it isn't, for an 80 Amp load and 80 foot run "2" gauge is only 10% loss. You
could go up to "0" gauge and still be only 35 pounds. And this is weight
distributing across the length, not just in the bow.

In fact, a
battery placed up forward may actually weigh less. The down side of
an additional battery, is that if it poops out you won't have a large
enough cable capacity to actually run the windlass..... you'll have
to run the engine to charge the battery.

A no-fun situation if you find yourself in a position that the anchor
*really* needs to come up.

I have a few thoughts at:
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/Caver...ss_Project.htm