Rod McInnis

Default Ok to swim in California Delta ?

"mmh" wrote in message
. com...

Actually from a bunch of people, then I did a search on internet with key
words and bunch of stuff come up.

The delta water is muddy which bothers a lot of people. But they take the
water out of the delta, pump it all the way to Los Angeles and the people
down there end up drinking it, so it can't be all that bad!

Herman's Marina in Stockton. Then we're gonna tool around up north.

Good central location, now the question is do you head north or south?

I will second Joe Parson's recommendations, except that you don't want to go
up the Giorgiana Slough to get to the meadows!. The "meadows" is the
prettiest and quietest place on the delta and is my all time favorite. I
would drive on past the "ghetto" area, go on up north of the Twin Cities
bridge for another couple of miles and find a spot to anchor. You will get
boat wakes but the achorage area is crowded and not my idea of peace and
quiet. From Herman & Helens head north to Tower park. Go left about a mile
then north up the North Fork of the Mokelumne River. When you get to Walnut
Grove there will be a bridge that will have to be opened for you, which
shouldn't be a problem 9:00 to 5:00. Continue north up Snodgrass slough.

If you went up the Giorgiana Slough you would end up in the Sacramento
River. If the locks are open a small boat can cross over. The locks have
very low clearance (9 feet ?) and I doubt that any houseboat would fit and I
have seen the remains of houseboats that were destroyed when they were
sucked through by the swift current.

Mildred is my usual hangout spot. 15 years ago it was a farm tract, but the
levee broke and they let it turn into a lake. Over the years the remaining
levees have been crumbing and the western side is all but gone now, but the
eastern side levee is still mostly intact. I drop anchor along the east,
inside levee and then do all the waterskiing/wakeboarding in the slough just
outside the east levee.

If you are the real party types then Lost Isle is worth a visit. It is right
on the main channel leading to Stockton. The rules change year to year but
the last time I was there they didn't allow anyone under 21 on the island so
if you have kids its not a good place to go.

I am sure you will have fun, wherever you go.

Rod