Joe Parsons

Default Ok to swim in California Delta ?

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:24:27 GMT, "mmh" wrote:

Don't quite know yet, never been there. We're starting from Herman's Marina
in Stockton.
Any suggestions for a nice cruise?

One very nice, peaceful spot to tie up is Three River Reach. It's just down the
San Joaquin from Herman & Helen's. It's like a big lake, quite sheltered from
the wakes on the San Joaquin.

There are several small beaches along the west side. The dropoff is steep
enough that you should be able to head right in and step off into shallow water
and wade ashore.

A couple of miles due south, down Middle River, is Mildred Island--actually a
big lake. It's another pleasant place to overnight.

another longer trip is up Giorgiana Slough to The Meadows. It's like a
houseboat ghetto, and is worth seeing at least once. There's also a very good
restaurant in the area, Giusti's, that has amazing steaks. They still don't
take credit cards, but have joined the 21st century--sorta--with an ATM on the
front porch.

The folks at H&H should be able to give you some more ideas.

HTH,
Joe Parsons

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:58:04 GMT, "mmh" wrote:

We're taking a houseboat vacation. I've just been finding out that parts

of
the Delta are contaminated. I'm wondering what the consensus of the group

is
on this, and if so, what parts are not contaminated and ok to swim in ?

I've been swimming in the Delta for ages (*koff* *koff* *hack*) with no
problems.

If you are going to The Meadows, I have heard of some problems because of

the
sheer number of boats there, but I haven't checked them out for myself.

Where in the Delta are you planning to hang out?

Joe Parsons