Horvath

Default Yacht Clubs--a mistake

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:16:04 -0400, "Beauregard"
wrote this crap:

I belong to a yacht club, and find it to be an excellent way for people
who do not or cannot own lakeside property to enjoy the water and
boating. My club requires three sponsors, and a guest membership period
in order for the applicant and the membership to make sure they are
comfortable with each other.

The only routine paid services utilized by the club are mowing the
grass, garbage pick-up, and a weekly housecleaning, so it is very
important that members clean up after themselves, pitch in to help on
semi-annual workdays, and serve on various committees. In return,
members have access to a marine railway, dry storage, wet slips,
launching ramps, docks, swim area, a club house that can be reserved for
private events at no charge, personal lockers, camping areas, organized
rowing and sailing programs, and the society of congenial people for
frequent social events. All of this is at an annual cost about half of
the annual lease of a slip for a 25 foot boat in a commercial marina.
We have a limited number of club owwned boats available for member use
on a first-come, first served basis, including a laser, a j-22, a couple
of sunfish, rowing skulls, and a couple of canoes. Multi-class club
races are held roughly everty two weeks year round, and there is ample
opportunity to participate as a crew member or by skippering one of the
club boats.

Since the membership jointly owns a multimillion $ facility, a modest
initiation fee ($1200 when I joined) and a process of ensuring mutual
compatability between members and candidates is appropriate, in my
opinion. We are a southern club, and do not descriminate based on
race, creed, or social status. Our membership includes a butcher, a few
doctors, school teachers, college professors, a smattering of yankees,
an English couple, a Frenchman, and at least one athiest.

You allow Frenchmen?