Horvath

Default Yacht Clubs--a mistake

On 19 May 2004 02:12:37 GMT, topspam (EdGordonRN)
wrote this crap:

At my yacht club, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. To get in,
you need a sponser to fill out the admission forms, and letters of
recommendation from two more members.

Why do you bother? What do you get out of that?

You start by getting to use the facilities. I get a dock for $900 a
year, with water and electric, which is less than half the price of a
dock at a marina. We have full shower rooms and toilet facilities.
Most marinas just have port-a-potties. We have a quarter mile of the
best beach in the midwest, (and that's saying a lot.) Did I mention
that a rum drink is $1.25 at the bar, and a beer is $0.85? Storage
for Lasers and racing dingys is on the beach. Dry storage for J24s
and similar boats is available. We have a launch tower for dry launch
boats. Did I mention rum drinks are $1.25 and beer is $0.85? Grassy
areas are available for sail drying and folding. At my old marina,
the only grassy area was used to walk dogs. And I'm not even
mentioning a third of the available facilities.

Also, this yacht club was started by sailors, for sailors. The
charter states that the mission of the yacht club was to promote
sailing activities. The stinkboaters are tolerated, and they know
they are in the minority. I'm not stuck around a bunch of
stinkboaters, who have to put up with the "ragbagger."

We have social and sailing activities every weekend. This weekend we
have a birthday party for two boats. Rum drinks at the bar will be
$1.25 and beer will be $0.85.

I could keep going on, but you get the idea.

People approving of you and you
have to pay for the privilage of people approving you? For a boat club? Maybe
there's something I don't get. Tell me, does anyone actually wear a blazer with
an emblem and a captains hat?

No. And gold chains are frowned upon.