Paul

Default Loran vs GPS

My friend has a Loran unit installed but uses GPS. It's interesting to
cruise and compare the two units. The Loran is "not bad" for accuracy but I
wouldn't want to rely on it to navigate a channel in the fog.

I think he is wise to keep the unit. It's already installed and if for
whatever reason he has a failure of his GPS he can still direct assistance
to his location.

wrote in message
On 20 Oct 2003 09:17:25 -0700, (mark s) wrote:

I just bought a boat that is equipped with (Eagle) LoranCE w/ built in
fishfinder. I'm not sure of the age of these electronics, but they
are already installed and functional. I have a modern fishfinder and
a handheld GPS (RAM mount) which I prefer to use in this boat.
I just wanted to get some opinions and hear some pluses and minuses...
Do you think I should keep the existing gear in the boat and use it in
conjunction with the new gear? (Could mount the 2nd sonar at the rear
of the boat.) Or would I be better off reducing clutter and get rid
of this equipment, and just use the modern electronics?

(Is Loran being phased out? I heard the towers are not being
maintained.)

loran will be around for a few years yet. it was supposed to be phased
out shortly, but has been given an extended lease on life.

to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field