Wally

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

Donal wrote:

Just to add to your post, at the
equator I think the moon takes about 12 1/2 hours from rise to set.

I think I pretty-much covered that. :-)

Obviously, Nav didn't read your entire post.

It's true that I didn't explicitly discuss the effect of latitude, although
I did allude to the idea in an earlier post when I suggested that the
principle wouldn't hold at extreme latitudes. (Given the rounded shape of
the earth, it would incorrect to think that there's a hard transition.)

Top marks Wally (for an informative post). I give myself 2/10 for
comprehension, but I will read it again.

It's all about angles and spinny things.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com