Donal

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
news
"Donal" wrote in message
All I need to know is that when there is a full, or new, moon the HW

will be
around 13:00.

Well, there are a few other details that aren't stated, like the

presumption the
tides are semi-diurnal.

If you know the times of moonrise/moonset then the relationship between

lunar
noon (the midpoint of rise and set) and high tide is relatively fixed.

Thus,
the relationship you observe about the time of high tide and the state of

the
moon can be used throughout the month.

I'm assuming you're talking about Portsmouth. If so, you should double

check
your understanding of the tides. Full Moon last occurred on about 5 hours

ago,
May 4 at 9:35 pm BST. High tide was at 12:06 am on May 5.

Fair enough! I should have said that springs were at 13:00.

Regards

Donal