Jeff Morris

Default Photos - Nelsons Flagship, Victory

There is an article in the new Soundings about the first Pride of Baltimore and
the causes of the disaster. It is written by Melbourne Smith, her first captain
and designer of classic ships such as Spirit of Massachusetts.

While Smith does not cite "poor seamanship" directly, he does say that the top
hamper should have been lowered for the voyage. With the topmasts and yards
rigged, he claims the knockdown was inevitable. This was the common practice
for ships of this type, and he claims it was also the cause of her grounding
several years earlier, when three captains refused to take her around Hatteras
in April with the topmasts rigged.

The actual sinking was caused by leaving the companionway hatch open. Since it
was positioned on the port side, a knockdown to port would result in rapid
flooding.

BTW, my wife did a brief cruise on the Pride shortly before the sinking.

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Navigator wrote:
Oh dear. Parrott is acknowleged as an expert on seamanship.

Unlike yourself.

... Hey it's OK
just insult him too 'cos you are always right!

Actually, I have never insulted the man, only pointed out that you (and
he, in your specific quote for which you give no details and no context)
were quite insulting to others.

.. But do us all a favor and
read his book

How do you know I haven't? I'd also suggest you read Villiers, Lever,
Chappelle, and a few others. Actually, Thomas Gilmer, the designer of
Pride of Baltimore I and II, has written quite a lot about naval
architecture (of which he was a professor at the U.S. Naval Academy),
and naval & maritime history, as well as designing a lot of excellent
boats. But you already knew that I bet

Fresh Breezes- Doug King