Bart Senior

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

Wally wrote
N1EE wrote:

I find it handy to be able to judge high tide
by looking at the moon. I can add or subtract
to estimate when the next high or low tide will
be.

You will note that the time of high tide slips
about 50 minutes every day and the interval
between high tides is about 12.5 hours.

A quick scan at my local data suggests slightly less slippage (30-40
minutes), but I'm not sure how reliable the info is. Did you use software

derive your numbers?

I study xtide and tables periodically. I see some variations with
what I observe. Generally, I tend to round off numbers. I don't
think it is critical if I'm off a few minutes. Especially since something
like rainfall seems to make a huge difference on our river.