Navigator

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

It's a really harmonic probelm with the moon being just one factor. As a
result it's not even a constant delay at a fixed spot.

Cheers

Wally wrote:

N1EE wrote:

1 pt to you Wally.

High Tide will be somewhat close to the
mid point between moonrise and moonset.

I have not researched many lcoations but I'd
estimate +/- an hour for more locations.

In my location High tide occurs about an hour
before that mid point.

Geographical factors will have a big influence.
A body of water might be north-south like the
Bay of Fundy or Gulf or California versus
east-west like Long Island Sound.

Yup, guess the geography is the single biggest factor affecting the
interval between lunar noon and high tide. At least, I'd imagine that a
smooth planet completely covered in water would have a constant interval for
all locations.

I find it handy to be able to judge high tide
by looking at the moon. I can add or subtract
to estimate when the next high or low tide will
be.

That's a habit I might try to develop. That said, I only daysail (club
racing), so I tend to use published tide info and the little program in my
PDA (Tide Tool).

As you can see we have at times nearly a 9
foot swing, so tidal currents coupled with river
current can cause problems with launching if you
are like me, and using a chain hoist. At times
I cannot drop the boat all the way into the river.
I need longer lift straps.

My boat isn't in the water, but the one I crew on has a marina berth, which
is very convenient. We have a similar situation with current - we're at a
narrow on a tidal river a couple of miles across which immediately opens out
to an estuary to the east. On the ebb, the current can get up to 3 knots in
places. There are islands and bridge piers dotted around, a deep channel on
the north side, and shoals to the south, all of which seem to make for a
great variety of water to contend with. Tidal range gets close to 6m at
springs (about 20 feet).

You will note that the time of high tide slips
about 50 minutes every day and the interval
between high tides is about 12.5 hours.

A quick scan at my local data suggests slightly less slippage (30-40
minutes), but I'm not sure how reliable the info is. Did you use software to
derive your numbers?

A good sailor will know what these factors are
for his or her location to figure the next
high tide.

Aye, still getting there. :-)