Walt

Default Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon

Bart Senior wrote:

Can you name two places where tides are diurnal?

Always diurnal, i.e. only one tide per day, every day? - No. I don't
think there is one. It'd be a very rare combination of geography and
geography.

Diurnal most of the time, i.e. only one tide per day most days, with
other days showing a smaller second tide? - Lots of places. The
Aleutians and the Gulf of Mexico are two.

What are spring and neap tides and how can you tell by
observing the moon, if a tide will be spring or neap?

Spring tides are bigger than neap tides. Spring tides occur at the full
moon and at the new moon. Neap tides occur at the first and last
quarter.

BTW, I sail on a small inland lake, so this stuff is just trivia for
me. Tides schmides - the real question is which direction is the next
90 degree wind shift coming from.

--
//-Walt
//