Jim Cate

Default STOP the MADNESS

katysails wrote:

Jim asked:
What education or degrees do you have that relate to aesthetics?

Actually, I did take some art courses, and I've visited art museums in
many countries and observed the design of lots of boats over the years.
But if you read my note carefully, I didn't actually claim to be an
expert in aesthetics. In fact, I didn't say anything about the good
looks of the new Mac, since it's all very subjective, and in the eye of
the beholder anyway, as you say. (It's not surprising that a klutz like
Johnathan wouldn't be capable of appreciating it.)

Actually, all I did was question Johnathan as to why anyone should
respect HIS opinions regarding boat design or aesthetics.

Jim

Give me a break. Now you are being absolutely ludicrous. Aesthetics is in
the eye of the beholder...and that includes art. There is no degree that
teaches you that. Aesthetics come from experience, from knowing what works,
what is practical, what is beautifful. Do you see any of the top boat
designers designing sailboats that look like Macs? NO! I'd venture Bob
Perry would gag. I'd say Buddy Melges would have a stroke. The French
designers would spit on you. Maybe you'd find someone in your court from
the old Coronado/Irwin camps....but probably not. You are buying a
butt-ugly, unaesthetic boat that is neither fish nor foul but a
hermaphrodite. And like most hermaphrodites, it is impotent.