Flying Tadpole

Default Any Dinghy Sailors Out There?

OzOne wrote:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:42:57 +0930, Flying Tadpole
scribbled thusly:

When did your opinion become humble, Oz1?

Last week!

Ah. Registered a DNF, did we?

Bwaaaahahahahahhahaaaa!
Not far off the mark actually.
Stepped back over a decade, closer to two actually, into a class where
I'd been a guru and got my arse well and truly whipped.
I've been consoling myself with the fact that I'd been partying till
the wee small hours that morning and wasn't all that flash...the truth
just isn't bearable

Ozone, the way to do it is this:
1)appear from nowhere in an unknown boat
2)carefully select your races
3)enjoy a brief, meteoric career as a consistent winner
4)disappear from the racing while at the top, leaving no trace
other than a well-populated website
5)if you must still sail on your racing grounds, choose a vessel
so outre that no-one dares challenge you to anything.

That way, you leave behind a residue of fear and wonder, and
don't have young 45yo punks condescendingly muttering "yes, poor
old fella, I seem to remember he was pretty good once", or, "it's
sad, watching the once great scramble trying to retain their lost
youth" or worse, "y'know, those who were around then reckon he
used to be able to party all night and still take out line
honours next day"

I could give further examples if it might be useful for you?
--
Tim & Flying Tadpole