Walt

Default Any Dinghy Sailors Out There?

DSK wrote:
much snippage

I like it. We need a new ad campaign: "Sail the Club 420 and FJ...
they're easy to stop!"

It's a trivial point. If both teams were sailing JYs, then it would
still be equal.

True enough. But you could say the same about whiskey barrels fitted
out with bedsheets and bromsticks...

It's also true that college racing emphasizes tactics, but even in a
fast boat, the issue is more boat handling & avoiding tactical errors
than putting on brilliant chessmaster moves.

Ever done any team racing, Doug? It's a bizarre sport. Very different
than fleet or match racing. For instance, in 3 on 3 team racing if your
team can block two of your opponents boats with one of your boats you're
almost sure to win that heat. There's a lot of "put yourself in front
of your opponent and put on the brakes" in team racing. The ability to
start and stop the boats on a dime makes this game more fun, hence the
preference for the 420 over the JY.

The real issue is that the Johnstones failed utterly at marketing the JY
to collegiate teams. And that's a shame IMHO. The JY has much better
longevity and is far more cost effective. Furthermore the economies of
scale that would kick in if they made a couple thousand of them a year,
instead of a couple hundred, would drop the price significantly.

Well, the JY beongs to Hunter now, so we'll see what they can do with it
marketing wise. There are many things I don't like about the JY, and
many things I do. On balance I think it's a very good choice for a club
or collegiate fleet or for anybody who wants to casually race
one-design.

--
//-Walt
//