John Cairns

Default Ignore the aesthetics, can it sail, and...WILL it be sailed?

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

John Cairns wrote:

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
As a cruiser of a design known to have split the civilised world
in two, I don't have a problem with the looks of the Mac26*.
--

snip

While Bolger designs might look ugly and
boxy(not saying they do) they look like sailing vessels.

What a diplomatic man you are, Mr Cairns!

The macs look too
much like powerboats, especially the new ones.

The confined-to-cockpit-or-cabin layout of the 26m seems to me to
be a real deterrent to forward on-deck movement at any time.
Unfortunate, since the boat is conventionally rigged with a
headsail providing most of the sail power. But after all, it
does have those stylish two-story windows (for want of a more
appropriate word).
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

Double windows are mac's crude attempt at eurostyling, which seems to be
popular in new powerboats built over here. Hunter does the same thing with
their small sailboats, all cabin and no deck.
http://www.huntermarine.com/models/260/index.html
Ironic, old "jim" could probably own something that can sail properly for
close to what he's going to pay for a mac, and it seems to meet all of the
other requirements, light weight, water ballast.
John Cairns