Walt

Default Any Dinghy Sailors Out There?

Pony Express wrote:

The thing I don't understand is why our
highschoolers don't like the JY's. They want
420's or FJ's because they're 'faster'. Truth is
that the JY is faster than either of them.

The 420 and the FJ are standard collegiate racing boats. The JY is
not. I think that's part of the prejudice, even though as you correctly
state the JY is signifignantly faster than the 420 or the 14-foot sleep
aid known as the Flying Junior.

So, why isn't the JY a college racing boat? Part of it's tradition,
surely, but there's another piece of the puzzle that I just found out a
couple of weeks ago. A lot of college racing is team racing where boat
handling and tactics is more important than boat speed. The problem
with the JY is that it's hard to stop it cold in it's tracks. Now, you
might not think "stopping the boat" is all that important in racing, but
it is at the collegiate level.

--
//-Walt
//