Jim Cate

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

DSK wrote:

Jim Cate wrote:

.... However,I think I've made it clear that I intend to be very
conservative when going off-shore, to reef early, and substantially,
if there is any question of threatening weather.

Unfortunately, neither "being conservative" nor reefing will help if
conditions are such that you're going to get solid water over the deck.
Just last week I was talking to a nice man who was bringing in a heavy
traditional cutter. He had been out in fairly common conditions, a
spring cold front, which kicked up waves big enough to roll over his
foredeck. One peeled open his fore hatch, which was a big surprise to
his fiancee sleeping in the V-berth.

Well, I'm prepared to die. But I don't intend to stop sailing in blue
water because there is a chance that heavy weather might develop. As
indicated above, I intend to reef early, stay close to shore, and head
back to shore early if changes are observed or predicted.

Jim

A Mac 26M (having pretty much the same hull as the 26X) has enough
reserve bouyancy to survive such an incident... as long as the water
coming in didn't compromise the stability (water ballast and all that)...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Ultimately, however, if an emergency arose despite all of the above, I
would rather have some water in the V-berth than wallow around without
a sea anchor.

Jim

Jim