Pony Express

Default Any Dinghy Sailors Out There?

You're preaching to the choir, Doug.

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
:
: Pony Express wrote:
: Just how big are you? We have had some pretty
big
: people in them, both for racing and learn to
sail.
: What don't you like about the acp? It's
perfect
: for club boats. No spider webbing or cracking
: when boats bump and it stands up to hauling
over a
: beach far better than glass.
:
: Agreed. The thing I don't like about the ACP
boats is that they are
: slippery. Stick-on non-skid improves things
somewhat, but molded in
: non-skid all over is better.
:
:
: The thing I don't understand is why our
: highschoolers don't like the JY's. They want
: 420's or FJ's because they're 'faster'. Truth
is
: that the JY is faster than either of them.
:
: The JY is MUCH faster. Take a couple of JY-15s
to a college sailing club
: and jump into a few of their practices... or
take them to a real regatta
: against either FJs or 420s. The JY will
literally sail rings around
: them. In regattas I've been at, the slowest JY
lapped the fastest 420.
:
: The real reason why the kids want 420s or FJs is
because that's what all
: the college clubs have. Conformists!
:
: 15 years ago, when the JY was a new boat, I
tried to break this cycle.
: As a result, NC State has a fleet of JY-15s
which we hosted regattas
: with for a few year... all the racers loved
them, the coaches all griped
: about "strange boats" and most of them have
bought at least two
: replacement fleets of club 420s and/or FJs...
and NC State still has
: it's fleet of original JY-15s.
:
: Fresh Breezes- Doug King