John Gaquin

Default Steam in exhaust

"Grampa Bob" wrote in message
om...
My question oncerns my Ford 352 inboard motor. It is a V8 with each
side having its own risers and exhaust pipes. For about three years I
have noticed steam....

The manifolds, risers, and elbows are cast iron parts that are considered
replacable. They corrode over the years, particularly in seawater. The
crucial problem is that if you corrode through from the exhaust chamber to
the water jacket, you could wind up leaking seawater into a cylinder through
the exhaust valve. This is generally not considered a good thing.
Questions:

How long have you been running the boat?
How long since the manifolds/risers/elbows replaced? Nominal life generally
5-10 years, sometimes longer if you're lucky, often closer to the low end in
salt water.
Is the engine raw-water cooled, or do you run glycol in the block?
Are you running in salt water, or fresh?

Pop the risers and elbows and take a look. If the water jackets are clogged
with flaky, rusty crud, replace. Then pull the manifolds and have them
cleaned out at least. Possible replacement.

JG