Shen44

Default ship anchor hitting smaller vessel

Subject: ship anchor hitting smaller vessel
From: "Steve"
Date: 11/02/2003 08:41 Pacific Standard Time
I think I remember seeing the picture you are referring to.. I don't
remember the whole story..

snip
Navy warships tend to use a vertical capstan for their anchor windlass, whereas
most commercial vessels use a horizontal winch/windlass, which means the
details may vary, but overall, the same.
One of the test during seatrials is to be in deep water, and do a controlled
drop of the anchor, on the brake, to it's full length (hanging free in water
.... @ 11 shots or roughly 1,000 feet of chain and anchor hanging below the ship
..... then heave it all in, keeping fingers crossed).

Shen