Gould 0738

Default Evinrude FICHT beats out Yamaha in JD Powers survey

Oh, puh-lease. When I "participated" in the Yamaha survey, I had 50+
years of actual usage experience with various brands of outboard
motors. So, I presume, do many other purchasers. I doubt 225 hp
outboards of any brand are bought by firs-time boaters.

And you are going to be able to accurately compare the total ownership
experience of the brand new outboard you just got, with the Johnson Sea Horse
you sold 45 years ago? You don't have enough time with the current product, and
you have forgotten about the old one. Besides, and this is an important
besides, people are going to use Powers survey to draw conclusions about the
relative quality between products. Current products sold new. Do you suppose
the brand of outboard you haven't owned since the 1960's is still the same
motor today? Not better or worse? If you own a 2003 Brand X motor, you cannot
speak from first hand experience about owning a 2003 Brand Y.

Luckily, the survey doesn't ask you to compare your outboard with other new
outboards- but the questions about how satisfied you might be can be posed in
such a way that various manufacturers will do very well, based on particular
product characteristics.

A number of the questions had to do with the dealer and how well or
how poorly it performed.

As always.