Brien Alkire

Default Tangled Whale

I've been following the story about the tangled right whale off of South
Carolina (see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4587367/ for instance).

It is wonderful that there are many people working hard on trying the help
the whale and I don't doubt their abilities.

However, I am puzzled by the reports I read. Two days ago it was reported
that the effort was called off due to bad weather off the South Carolina
coast. I checked the NWS buoy information and reports in the area, and they
indicated rather calm seas (10 to 15 kts max, 2-3 foot seas max).

Now I am reading that it is called off today because it would take until
noon to get the whales location, which is too close to dark. They're going
to wait and hope the whale comes closer to the coast.

I don't understand. They are using a 70 foot research vessel. Why can't
they remain overnight and try in the morning? How calm do they need it to
be? I live in what's considered a "light wind" area, and NWS reports of 10
to 15 kts is generally considered light here.

Again, I don't doubt the ability of the people working on this, but I'm just
confused by the details.

Any thoughts?