JAXAshby

Default Gulf Stream view

Matt, you sound like a sailor people are glad to know. Good on ya.

Not much risk there that day. A days sail south of Newport, the ledges
are a long ways away. Real navigators from the end of WWII until
recently (in my terms) knew how to work radio. That is if it worked at
all, because until the transistor were available in the early sixties,
the reliability was not an issue, it was non-exsistent for small boats.

Those were more patient days. Down east required even more. To do
things like hang off until you could actually see the harbor entrance.

I still love telling people about the fog they grow there such that you
can still see the truck just fine, but not the bow and you may even see
masts around you - but no boats.

A friend and fellow sailor almost as long as I were laughing ourselves
silly because I much younger person came along and said something about
this friend's Garmin 45 because it was not nearly accurate enough for
him to trust to make hie slip. This started us into an evening of
seastories about being exactly where you though you were or no where
near at all.

Life was different then. The ledges were there, but the people that
ventured among them didn't expect others to take care of them. These
were the people that taught me, they are gone.

Matt Colie - see prior sig

Martin Baxter wrote:

Matt Colie wrote:

Wow, There was the Consolan station on Nantuket and some other good
RDF on the coast farther south that he kept crossing until he was sure
we were in a southbound flow.

You used RDF? Damn lucky you didn't fetch up on a granite ledge
off the coast of Maine!

Cheers
Marty