Matt Colie

Default Gulf Stream view

Wow,

I guess it isn't a "stream".

People though Chic Larken (The Navigator)was a little off in 1966 when
he suggested that we go a little farther east than the rhum line because
he had gotten data from a survey ship that indicated there might be a
northern meander that we could ride south. We set up a thermocouple
down one of the cockpit scuppers and checked the water temperature
regularly. When the temperature jumped up, he (Mr. Larken) started
navigating like a man possesed. There was the Consolan station on
Nantuket and some other good RDF on the coast farther south that he kept
crossing until he was sure we were in a southbound flow. We won.

Loran was available but not legal for racing at that time so few boat
carried the weight.

That was TV Learson's new CAl 40 "Thunderbird"

Matt Colie

JAXAshby wrote:
http://www.deos.tudelft.nl/altim/gulfstream/