Capt Mooron

Default 40 Below and Cold Steel

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Mooron,

Glad you're surviving that bitter cold. Are you putting the air
conditioning fin on the steel, as we did for the pipeline?

Steel work is on the abutment bin walls and piling for the bridge
placements. Massive panels that need to be manually heaved into place,
spudded and bolted. Handling 5/8s bolts at -42c is an exercise in frost
burn. I've got a special suit from Northern Outfiitters that handles the
extreme cold quite nicely. The survey work is another matter.... waiting 4
hours by the GPS to confirm coordinates and travelling site to site to plant
steel pins into rock. Sometimes you have to dig up to 2 meters of snow to
get to the ground. It's a blast... and everyday is an adventure. I'm lovin'
it.!! :-D

When they told me I was heading North during pipeline construction, I
told them it only was because I was Standing looking in that direction.
Birch Bay, Wa. w.as as far north as they were locating me.

I did get to see some of the construction problems they had with the
"Perma Frost"

Yeah.. we're on fine grained soils here.... old glacial lake bed. Lots of
perma frost problems. We're using liquid nitrogen to freeze the holes below
the frost lines.

Keep 'em warm, ole Buddy, You got a lot of year yet to use them.

You bet Thom! I'm dreaming of the day I get to go sailing again in warm
weather... which by comparison will seem like blistering hot weather.

Take care of yourself and keep these guys here in line and on subject! :-D

CM