Jim Cate

Default Hull Speed, Cal, O'Day 34

Donal wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

If you feel the need to seek our opinions, then you haven't found the

boat

that is right for *you*.

snip

Delilah has a relatively shallow draft, under 5 feet, which would be
advantageous in our bay complex. This is the *** III model, which I
understand was a later production run that incorporated some
improvements over the earlier models. I think that it would be somewhat
more tender than the O'Day, but probably more fun to sail in light to
medium winds. The problem, again, is that it would take 5 hours to
motor down to Galveston and get to some blue water, and, for several
reasons, leaving it at a marina in Galveston introduces some problems.

I don't know the area at all. I assume that you are up a river?????

We are in the Kemah-Clear Lake area, between Houston and Galveston,
which is on the gulf. Most of the marinas here are on waters that open
to Galveston bay, and most sailing is done in the bay,. (I think this
area is third or fourth in the country as far as the number of boats
kept in various marinas.) To get to the Gulf and blue water, however, we
have to sail down the ship channel for about 25 miles and then out
between the jetties for several miles. So, there are some sailing areas
here in the bay that are convenient, but blue water sailing takes
several days. About 95% of boat owners in the area leave their boats in
the Kemah area rather than in Galveston, because of the convenience
factor, the danger of hurricanes and other issues.

Jim

My experience suggests that you are much better off if you can keep the boat
near your sailing area.

I used to keep my boat in a truly beautiful location, at the top of
Chichester Harbour. The whole area is a protected nature reserve. However,
it took an hour to get to the sea (and another to get back).

We moved to a marina that is 100 yards from the sea because I realised that
we would use the boat much more. The main effect of the move, is that our
sailing season has changed from 6 months to 12 months. We can now go for a
sail when the weather is a bit "iffy" because it is easier to turn back. In
the old marina, we didn't bother going out if there was a possibility that
the weather could turn, because we might not even get to the sea before we
would have to turn back.

You mentioned earlier that you were hoping to take some kids out sailing.
IMHO, they are unlikely to cope with 10 hours of travelling to and from the
sailing area. Also, you wouldn't get much use out of the boat if it took
5 hours just to reach the sea.

I think that I'm beginning to see why you were leaning towards the Mac25.
You really need two boats. One for pottering around the river(??), and
another for some blue water sailing. Maybe a compromise will suit you, but
I think that you would end up with a boat that wasn't very well suited to
either purpose.

Regards

Donal