Plastiekske

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

DSK wrote:

Seems to me that there are a few alternatives. Why not sail the boat
through the Caribbean, getting far enough south to be out of the
hurricane track come late summer. While out there you can look into what
registration options an expat has, there are bound to be some that will
cost less than $15K (or euros).

BTW did you not figure the VAT or other registration expenses when
calculating whether or not you could afford the boat? Seems like a
rather expensive mistake.

Like I said: I got my information from the Flemish counterpart of the American Sailing Association,
which I believed to be a knowledgeable source. It wasn't until I actually contacted the customs that
it turned out to be that this information was wrong.
I didn't say that I couldn't afford the additional cost, but ... I had planned other things with the
approx US$15600.
So ... I prefer losing US$ 2000 (or maybe even a bit more if somebody comes up with an acceptable
bid) to spending another US$15600 (although it breaks my heart, because this boat was the first one
I encountered having everything that I look for in a boat)

Frank