DSK

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

Plastiekske wrote:
I'm not an 'undesirable alien', but I've just recently (three weeks ago) bought a US registered boat
(lying in Georgia). I was meaning to sail the boat along the East Coast to Newport, before crossing
the Atlantic to my 'home country' (Belgium).

Seems to me that there are a few alternatives. Why not sail the boat
through the Caribbean, getting far enough south to be out of the
hurricane track come late summer. While out there you can look into what
registration options an expat has, there are bound to be some that will
cost less than $15K (or euros).

BTW did you not figure the VAT or other registration expenses when
calculating whether or not you could afford the boat? Seems like a
rather expensive mistake.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King