David Ditch

Default pump out or no pumpout head

8'6" beam

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
All good advice if we're talking about a cruiser at least 25' with an 8'
beam, an enclosed head, standup room, and a couple of batteries (the
Lectra/San is legal on the Chesapeake Bay). But here, we're talking
about a 23' cuddy that's likely to have a 6' beam....the only space for
any toilet will be under a cushion in the cuddy.

If you are going to carry the tank to be emptied I would recommend
the 6 gallon tank.

50 lbs is a LOT to carry, Rod!

If you are going to rely on just the pump out, then I would
recommend a tank of at least 40 gallons.

On a 23' cuddy??? Ye gods, Rod...he'd have to put the toilet in the
cockpit and turn the entire cuddy into a holding tank!

Even if it were practical, 40 gallons is overkill...most boats on the
Bay have 20-25 gallon tanks. Pumpouts are plentiful in MD...and most
were paid for with federal grant money, which limits the amount they can
charge for a pumpout to $5.

IMO, a permanently installed 5-6 gal portapotty is the only viable
option for him on a boat that size. There's no place to put a toilet AND
a tank...and besides, pumping a toilet is more of a challenge than kids
the age of his are likely to be able to meet. And, because they don't
use any real flush water, the 5-6 portapotty holds about as many flushes
as a 12-15 gallon holding tank connected to a manual marine toilet. I've
spent a few weekends aboard boats equipped with 'em...that's enough for
4 adults for a full weekend including two nights aboard...so it should
be enough to see his family through a full Sat/Sun weekend.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327