Jim Cate

Default Hull Speed, Cal, O'Day 34

Bobsprit wrote:

I have a 16-inch newt mounted in a truss-tube Dob assembly. I'm a
member of the NASA -JSC astronomy club and have been attending the Texas
Star Party for several years, held annually in the spring in west Texas.

Wow! That's a big piece of glass! Congrats. Something like that would be too
much for me, but I love looking through the big scopes.

My wife and I recently built a new Dob truss tube system for the scope
and installed the 16-inch mirror and other optics in it. It can be set
up or collapsed into a 2x2' package in a few minutes and then rolled
around easily on a "wheelbarrow" arrangment. - So, it's easy to store in
a small space and to load in a van or pickup for transport.

Yeah, astronomy via scopes won't work well on a boat and I'd sooner keep good
optics clear of salt water. Last summer we did okay anchored in Oyster
Bay...lying on the fordeck and counting meteors.

RB

I'll leave my good binos at home.

Jim