DSK

Default Best small Cruisers Under 10K

JAXAshby wrote:

a c-27 is listed in Vigor's "20 Small Sailboats To Take You Anywhere".

A Catalina 27 won't take one "anywhere." They are relatively nice boats, and
readily available... but that doesn't make them great.

Too small. The Cape Dory 25 is barely a weekender.

A CD-25 is much bigger than a Folkbote, a design considered one of the most
seaworthy boats out on the sea.

And torture to cruise in. I've been on a couple of overnights in Folkboats. Unless
you are either extremely small and/or extremely limber and also claustrophilic,
they are not great cruisers. OTOH if I met somebody who was shopping for a cruising
boat in this size/price range, who decided they really liked the Folkboat, I
wouldn't try to talk them out of it.... I'd just talk them into getting in & out of
the cabin a few times to try it out. They are fun boats to sail, which is a big
plus in my book.

If the idea of "cruising" is crossing large bodies of water, a CD-25D (also
listed in Vigor's book) is a boat that works.

Sure. But once again (why do you miss the point so much) that doesn't make it "The
Best." Of the boats I listed, all would be capable of making passages in skilled
hands. All would be better able to carry a load of stores, and considerably more
comfortable after any length of time aboard.

On the other hand, if "cruising"
is motoring from one anchorage to another, then a Bucaneer 28 is a cruising
boat.

So is a 36' tugboat! Now, which one is better?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King