Jonathan

Default Epoxy okay on mahogany?

Bearing in mind that opinions here are sometimes worth about what you
pay for them, for my .02 cents I would encourage you to fill the seams
with a polysulfide caulking like BoatLife or SikaFlex. These products
come in standard cartridges and can be applied with a standard caulking
gun, although in a similar situation I chose to invest in an air driven
caulking gun, because I already owned a compressor and figured my hand
might fall off after i squeezed out 2,700 lineal feet of seams.

These products are made for seams, and they will stay more or less where
you place them, ie since your boat is too big to turn over, you are un
the position of having to force a semi liquid like epoxy mixed with a
filler up hill in order to get it into your seams. The polysulfide on
the other hand is mixed to s consistency, and is sticky enough that you
can work from underneath it without ending up wearing it.

You can get cartridges to fill with epoxy, and you can get slow curing
hardeners, but I still think it would be easier to use a different
product like BoatLife.

If you have some *small* areas of rot, you can solidify them with epoxy
sometimes. You need to drill some holes in the wood, use the plastic
syringes and later heat the area with a heat gun which helps thin the
epoxy a little and drive it deeper into the wood. You can find more
information on that process at www.westsystem.com

Good luck.

Jonathan

Jason wrote:
A while back i asked about if it is okay to put fibreglass below the
waterline of my 28 foot mahogany lapstraked carver mariner.
Overwhelmingly the response was NO.

heres my next question,
Would just using epoxy to coat all wood surfaces of the hull be okay?
or does anyone see anything wrong with it? i need the quickest,
easiest way to make this boat waterproof so i can get a month out of
it this year at least. it has already been sanded down, just waiting
for my next move.

any help is appreciated.
thanks,
-Jason