William R. Watt

Default Epoxy okay on mahogany?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_Sch=F6=F6n?= ) writes:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:58:19 +0000, Jason wrote:

A while back i asked about if it is okay to put fibreglass below the
waterline of my 28 foot mahogany lapstraked carver mariner.
Overwhelmingly the response was NO.

heres my next question,
Would just using epoxy to coat all wood surfaces of the hull be okay?

I missed the earlier discussion, but why would you want to coat all the
wood surface?

I assume the previous replies recommended against it because of the lapped
strakes making it too difficult to lay the cloth on the hull.

I think all you really need to worry about is sealing the seam where the
planks overlap and that I assume can be done do with a flexible sealant
and a caulking gun. The wood will flex both from the motion of the boat
and the swelling with moisture. Epoxy might work. I have both epoxy and
polyester sealing seams on my boats but then they are very small so don't
flex, are plywood which is more stable, and are out of teh water when not
in use. You might get away with sealing the seams with epoxy. I spread a
small bead along the seam with a toothpick and do it twice. Then paint or
varnish or whatever. The potential problem with epoxy is that it dries
hard and can crack instead of flex.

Sorry I don't have the definitive answer.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm