Lloyd Sumpter

Default pump out or no pumpout head

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:16:06 +0000, Ronald A. Widman wrote:

If you boat out of Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis or just visit, the
pumpout station is free. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is
taken out of service during the "off season" (now).

The next step up from a 23' cuddie is a cabin cruiser of 24' or more. These
typically have a china head and holding tank of 15 gallons or more. Pumpout
is relatively painless, tie up at the pump, remove the deck fitting cover,
insert the hose, and turn on the pump. No fuss, no muss!

I agree with the others, a 23' cuddie seems a little small for two adults
and three children. Remember that they will grow larger over time.

Geez, the guys talking about daytrips and such. We did just fine with 2
adults and 2 teenage kids (one was me!) in a 14 ft runabout.

Also, for the application he's talking about ("emergencies" or convenience
for an afternoon's outing) a dump-onshore portapottie might be less hassle
than a pumpout. He's talking about 2-3 flushes, maybe. No need for the
40-gal tank someone recommended.

My vote would be for the 23ft (or smaller) cuddy with a portapottie.
Simple, no plumbing to go wrong, no pumpout stations to find...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36