Jeff Morris

Default Lifelines

I love it when you go into your "training wheels" routine. It just reeks of
jealously! You'll never have a boat as nice as mine; and you'll certainly never
have the pleasure of taking your family anywhere!

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
jeffies, I never used the word "lost", only you did. I have never used the
word "Maine", only you did.

On the other hand, *you* have never used the term "training wheels" for your
boat, only the rest of the world has.

I've been "out there" many times, jaxie, but I've never been lost like you
were.
What you describe is the anxiety of navigating inshore amongst the rocks of
the
Maine Coast, in the fog, before the days of Loran and Radar. Where you
were,
with 3 GPS's and Loran, you should have had no doubt at all, and you
shouldn't
have been within 5 miles of a hazard.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
no jeffies, it did not mean we were withing 100 feet of hitting something.

It
meant we hadn't yet seen a light we expected to see, and if we didn't see

it
****soon**** we would do the prudent thing and backtrack until we were

sure
the light was out or something. we found the light right where it was
expected.

go out there sometime jeffies and you will find out that one does indeed

watch
for lights. training wheels motorboat operators, on the other hand, motor

bit and stop, motor a bit and stop, stay stopped because it might rain or

the
bread is stale or whatever.

Right. You said "we were within 20 seconds of turning around". That

sounds
an
awful lot like you were lost. Especially since you can go 5 miles inside

of
light with 38 mile visibility. At 3 knots, that means you were afraid you
were
within 100 feet of bumping into a "rock." Given that there are no

hazards,
other than Diamond Shoals, which is very well marked and easy to avoid,

its
sounds a lot like you were lost.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
jeffies, the only one to use the word "lost" is you.

Lost at Hatteras with two GPS's! Good one jaxie!