DSK

Default offshore santana 525

"Richard Randall" wrote...
My concerns a because I live on the NE coast my ideal cruising
ground is the Atlantic coast day sailing and making port-to-port
recreational trips. But I really want a boat I can also race if want.
I want to do the Figawi in 2005 and the notice of race said a boat of
any length can enter so long as its PHRF rating is under 200. Even
for day sailing I still want a boat that can point and is fun to
actively sail.

Totally makes sense to me. Keep in mind that coastal cruising in New England can
mean anything from flat calm to fog to tidal races thru big rocks, hurricanes,
etc etc. A certain amount of knowledge & prudence is a prerequisite, and the
more skillful the skipper the less bulletproof the boat need be.

I don't really have a need for standing head room or TV
and VCR. The only sailing I realy ever done is racing so I'm used to
spartan interiors and peeing in a bucket. I would like to be able to
single hand it. A guy wants to sell me his 525, including a trailer,
basic sail inventory (5 total), motor, spin gear, for $2000 and the
boat looks pretty good

Donal wrote:
It sounds like you have found your perfect boat. If you are confident about
its condition, then you should buy it - before somebody else does!

Agreed... I hate to be a cynic but it must be considered that the reason this
guy wants to sell it to you for $2K is that he really couldn't get that for it
on the open market. I'd be enthusiastic but very very thorough in checking out
the boat. Remember the nuclear treaty motto... "Trust, but verify."

It's a tall order finding a boat that rates under 200 for less than 6K. Taking a
quick peek at the boat market, I saw an Evelyn 24 in Freeport Me; a Capri 25 in
Florida (not sure that would do you any good); a 24' S2 (doesn't say which
model, apparently a fin keel) in NY;

Or you might consider a trailerable pocket rocket. This thing is a real sleeper,
a friend of mine has one.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...ityid=11600481

I've seen this same boat sailing, it's a pretty good deal. Doesn't look like it
has much cabin space, though
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...ityid=11682431

I also saw a couple of J-24s but in this price range they're almost certain to
be beaters & fixer-uppers that would cost you double the purchase (or more) to
actually get in racing condition. This is an issue to keep in mind, even racing
a small centerboard one-design costs. If you are struggling to afford the boat,
will you be able to afford the upkeep?

A boat that jumped to mind was the Morgan 27, which is a late 1970s MORC racer
that makes a nice weekender/cruiser; but didn't see a listing for one. Get out
there and beat the bushes.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King