otnmbrd

Default Mississippi Fog

Joe wrote:

snip

Even that can fluctuate. When it's foggy, and the Corps can't get its
survey boats on the water, river sediment can build up so fast the
bottom will rise 3 feet in 24 hours.

"Keeping a deep-water pass in the Mississippi River is no children's
game," Corps spokesman John Hall said. "There's a premium on
horsepower out there, and as the deep water swings from side to side
in the bends, it's like switching back and forth from American highway
traffic to a British highway system."

Thus, the Corps updates its charts on a 24-hour basis and transmits
them to Pilottown, where they are posted on a war room wall. The most
up-to-date depths, in other words, are available.

This is the point I was going for, regarding the reason for the Stbd to
stbd passage.
I've been aground twice on that river, G so it's not one of my favorites.

I thought it was the bow sticking out of the water.

I wouldn't rely on that report, for that, but could indicate area of
major damage.

otn

Joe