Jeff Morris

Default Navigation Question

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

How about:
Depth Sounder
Bottom from lead line

Bottom mavigation is indeed another way to navigate.

One of my favorites since it serves as a reality check on other methods.

Sound from fog horns & bell/gong buoys.

Good one but very restrictive!

Fortunately I don't have to use this much anymore!

Also, "DR" doesn't include Piloting, or using local geographic features.

I dissagree. To trianglate off distance features is DR'n IMHO.

Nah. In any definition I've heard of Dead Reckoning is that it specifically
does not include piloting techniques that would yield a "fix." DR is what you
do between fixes.

For reference, see:
http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...s.html?rid=187

Chapter 1 begins with a brief discussion of the difference between various types
of navigation; Chapters 7 and 8 discuss DR and Piloting respectively.

-jeff