otnmbrd

Default Navigation Question

Jeff Morris wrote:
"Piloting" includes a variety of techniques, but I've only heard one definition
of "DR." Some people do include factoring in currents, leeway, etc as part of
DR, but anyone who was formally trained (in the US, at least) would plot that as
"EP," not "DR."

G Guess my "formal" training differed. The only time I ever used "EP"
was with a sunline, and once in the real world, I learned that was
fairly useless.
As stated, "DR" has formal definitions, but in practice, people apply it
differently (which includes the use of knowledge of currents and wind to
adjust for set and drift)..... again, the fact you don't include set and
drift in DR work, and I do, is not important, as long as during the
discussion we are aware of the other's usage.

otn