dmp

Default Problem starting Evinrude

Hi
I'm a newbie to all this boating stuff and am having problems starting my
outboard.
First off, its a 140 hp Evinrude, about a 1983. I start off by pumping the
fuel bulb til its is hard (a fellow collegue informed me of this) and then
lift the choke lever all the way up, push in the key and start turning it
over. It cranks for about 3 mins and then I stop to let the starter cool(if
it is hot?) Then I start again and finally it will start about another 3 min
or so.
Question is, should it take this long? I plan on changing the plugs this
weekend. Is there something else I should do? If the battery is low, will
this not help the problem? I had to take it home tonight to give it a charge
as it stopped cranking the motor.

Thanks Dean