felton

Default John Kerry & the Bitch

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:09:54 -0800, "Michael"
wrote:

What do you mean 'if we still had the draft?' The Selective Service System
is alive, well and ready to be used when needed. All 18 and older males are
still required to register for universal conscription. When cannon fodder
is needed . . . . .re-activating the system is but a computer push button
away.

When was the last time someone was drafted? We have registration for
Selective Service, but I don't view that as a draft. Do you?

My point was that I believe that the attitude of many Americans would
shift if they believed their family members might end up in one of
these military adventures. Currently, the only way anyone is going to
be put at risk is if they sign up for it. That was not true in the
60s. If your ping pong ball bubbled up to the top in the draft
lottery, then you might well be on the bus to basic training. I
believe the professional, volunteer services we have now are far
better, but I am concerned that it may leave the vast majority of
Americans detatched from the very real losses and risks of war because
it is happening to "somebody else."