otnmbrd

Default And ???????

Donal wrote:

Commercial seamen tend to behave as if they were in a TSS, even when

they

are not (a real issue in my waters). Fishermen leave a basket

permanently

fixed aloft.

G many of the ones I know, turn their "fishing" lights on when they
leave the dock, and never turn them off till they tie back up.

Sorry, killing 3 people, in a vain attempt to save one fool, rubs me
wrong. I realize that people get caught in conditions the could not have
planned for, but too many people are using their "personal freedoms" to
act irresponsibly and without thought as to the consequences.

I see it differently. I don't know where you got your "3 people" from.

Was an example, but don't doubt that I can find any number of rescuers
killed in those numbers while trying to rescue one person in many areas,
much less just boating ..... know of a rescue swimmer, and crew from a
CG boat lost.....

The reality is that many people, perhaps many millions, enjoy the freedom of
the sea for every rescuer who loses his life. I don't think that lack of
"certification" is a major cause of emergency rescue. I suspect that lack
of maintenance is the main trigger for rescue service involvement.

What kind of certification are you talking about? Maintenance is only
one reason ....lack of experience and basic knowledge and good judgment
have to rank right up there.

otn