Donal

Default And ???????

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
link.net...

Donal wrote:

Many people view the rules from their own perspective. Many sailors

think
that power gives way to sail, even uf the sailboat is the overtaking

vessel.
Commercial seamen tend to behave as if they were in a TSS, even when

they
are not (a real issue in my waters). Fishermen leave a basket

permanently
fixed aloft.

snipped

to maneuver for one may throw a whole bunch of other's into trouble.
Problem is, some ships have carried this "hold course" to all conditions
of meeting small boats ( Some may use this to say rule 2 applies), which
though not correct, is a fact of life the small boater must deal with
....I won't go in to who's to blame for this condition.

I don't really disagree with you here.

I would estimate that 2/3rds of ships were not sounding their horns the

last
time that I crossed in fog.

I find this number hard to believe, but my familiarity with the area is
distant and only a few times, so I can't comment from a shipboard
perspective.

If JohnE is still lurking, then perhaps he will comment.

Frequently, actions which apparently, only threaten the particular
individual, acting stupidly, end up threatening the lives of many who
are now tasked with saving his/her stupid butt.

I understand this point of view. However, on balance, I think that
personal freedom is more important.

Sorry, killing 3 people, in a vain attempt to save one fool, rubs me
wrong. I realize that people get caught in conditions the could not have
planned for, but too many people are using their "personal freedoms" to
act irresponsibly and without thought as to the consequences.

I see it differently. I don't know where you got your "3 people" from.

The reality is that many people, perhaps many millions, enjoy the freedom of
the sea for every rescuer who loses his life. I don't think that lack of
"certification" is a major cause of emergency rescue. I suspect that lack
of maintenance is the main trigger for rescue service involvement.

Regards

Donal