F330 GT

Default Johnson outboard cooling question.

Chenz759 wrote:

I was looking over a boat that I am considering buying and I noticed

something
strange with the outboard.
It's a 1995 Johnson 112 HP V4.
We had it running on earmuffs for a few minutes to warm it up so I could do

compression test. I noticed that the two piston banks had a significant
difference
in temperature. After about 3 or 4 minutes, one side was still cool while

the
other
side was very warm.
Anyone have any idea what could cause this? Blocked internal water passage
maybe?

The owner bought the motor new in 95 and has had it professionally

winterized
every year. He did not know when or if the water pump was changed so it's
possible that it has never been replaced.
BTW, the compression checked out OK. All four cylinders measured 120 psi.

Thanks in advance,
VI

I believe each cyl bank has its own thermostat located on the aft side
of the motor at the base of the block and I suspect 1 is stuck.

I suspect this is normal.The lower cylinder bank will probably get more water
through it and the thermostat will open later than the upper cylinder bank.I
don't know if that's the actual reason but my old Johnson 200 did the same
thing. Maybe just the direction water runs through the cooling chambers.

Barry