Jeff Morris

Default And ???????

You need look no further than the first sentence to see the applicability:

1(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters
connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.

If the slip is in waters connected to the sea, they are applicable. I'll admit
the my logic is strained, but the "letter of the law" is clear: a lookout is
required at all times, even when anchored, moored, or tied up to a dock. It is
only because of court interpretation that this rule is "relaxed." Donal is
claiming that courts do not have a part in this process; this is simply a case
where it should be clear to anyone that they do.

But I appreciate that you're still reading this.

-jeff

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Jeff Morris wrote:

must be maintained "at all times."

I do indeed take the "lookout" rule as an absolute.

Do you have a lookout posted now?

No.

Do you
have a lookout when you're anchored overnight, at on a mooring? In a

slip?

I certainly do not post a lookout when I'm in a slip.

Then you're ignoring the rule! They are unequivocal - "Every vessel shall

at
all times maintain a proper look-out" - there is nothing that says, "except

when
its not convenient."

Just my two cents, COLREGS, 'Regulations for the Avoidance of Collisions at

Sea' (sic);
being in a slip is not "At Sea", Colregs do not apply IMHO

Cheers
Marty