Jeff Morris

Default And ???????

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
You'd have to be more specific about which conversation that was. I said

from
the beginning that I couldn't endorse Joe's actions, especially since I've

only
briefly seen the HSC, 35 years ago at that.

Ok.
How, then, do you explain the fact that your initial contribution to the
conversation was to question my observation that a "radar alone" lookout was
a breach of the CollRegs?

The fact that the visibility is near zero does not preclude movement. I wasn't
agreeing with Joe; I simply did not wish to comment on the actions of a
professional in an environment that I'm not familiar with.

I was questioning Joe's assertion that he was behaving correctly by
travelling at 25 kts under radar alone. I took exception when you
questioned me - mainly because you usually post sensible stuff.

I was merely questioning the absolute nature of your comment. The fact that
movement is permitted in conditions where radar is required means that "safe
speed" is not an absolute.

I know that you acknowledged that a proper lookout should be maintained,
but you still seemed to find my position more offensive than Joe's.

Sorry, I tend not to be too interested in the obvious.

Besides, you were willing to call him a "menace" without ever witnessing what he
was talking about - I'm not willing to do that.

Quite frankly, I was surprised (to put it mildly).

25 knots would seem excessive if
there is any chance of other traffic, but the canal he was talking about

is
largely closed to recreational boating. I also wonder if 25 knots is
considered a "safe speed" offshore where the chances of encountering a

small
boat not visible on radar is rather slim.

It really depends on what "slim" means. I happily accept that Peter can
whizz about at any speed he fancies in the depths of the Antartic. However,
the English Channel is a completely different place.

IIRC, there is a high speed ferry that does (or did?) the Channel crossing.
Perhaps you can tell us what speed they slow to in thick fog. I wouldn't be
surprised if the Bar Harbor Fast Cat does over 30 knots in the middle of the Bay
of Fundy.

I did take exception to Joe's claim that the helmsman, who is using radar

steer the boat, can also serve as the visual lookout.

If you look back, you will find that you took greater exception to my claim
that Joe was breaking the rules. You didn't question Joe, - you questioned
me.

I only took exception to treating the rule as an absolute. The concepts of
"safe speed" and "proper lookout" are decided by the courts. I'm not willing to
pass judgment on a professional's action several thousand miles away from where
I sail.

This is certainly frowned
upon on large ships, and while it is sometimes done on small boats, I have
trouble seeing how this actually works. As I said early on in this

thread,
thick fog is an "all hands on deck" situation on my boat.

... and mine!

mine too.

-jeff