Jeff Morris

Default And ???????

You'd have to be more specific about which conversation that was. I said from
the beginning that I couldn't endorse Joe's actions, especially since I've only
briefly seen the HSC, 35 years ago at that. 25 knots would seem excessive if
there is any chance of other traffic, but the canal he was talking about is
largely closed to recreational boating. I also wonder if 25 knots is
considered a "safe speed" offshore where the chances of encountering a small
boat not visible on radar is rather slim.

I did take exception to Joe's claim that the helmsman, who is using radar to
steer the boat, can also serve as the visual lookout. This is certainly frowned
upon on large ships, and while it is sometimes done on small boats, I have
trouble seeing how this actually works. As I said early on in this thread,
thick fog is an "all hands on deck" situation on my boat.

-jeff

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Once again, you're assuming that I've endorsed Joe's position. As I

said, when
you start out with faulty assumptions, you end up being wrong.

Are you now saying that Joe was wrong when he disagreed with me?

Regards

Donal
--
BTW, I'll answer the rest of your post tomorrow. It's too late for me do
justice to it.